Wednesday, March 2, 2011

CULTURE CLASH

Culture Clash

Culture is learned. The clash is the unlearning and relearning of new cultures.

Culture according to Merriam-Webster’s dictionary is the act of developing the intellectual and moral faculties’ esp. by education; enlightenment and excellence of taste acquired by intellectual and aesthetic training; acquaintance with and taste in fine arts, humanities, and broad aspects of science as distinguished from vocational and technical skills. 

May thirteenth, twenty-ten, I arrive in Downtown Los Angeles for Art Walk.  It’s almost six in the evening, and everyone is enjoying all the local galleries, and attractions.  The first gallery I stop by is 118 Winston, which is owned by Stephen Zeigler, who is a Photographer.

118 Winston is a small gallery space, on the upper-lever of a multi-tiered building in the heart of the Old Bank district.  Walking into the gallery, there is live music playing, performed by Carolina, who is a Flutist.  The gallery is sparsely furnished, which brings a more welcoming environment to the art experience. 

Across the room are two gentlemen, who I latter learn is featured artist Greg Brisson, and the owner of the gallery, Stephen Zeigler.  Eye-catching bold paintings and child-like doodles line the walls.  I walk around the room, as each piece tells a different story, through different mediums; evoking a spirit of transcendent dreams, with a hint of melancholy.

With pieces entitled The Circus, Fallen Angel, Exodus, Carolina, and Rascals, Gregory Brisson’s art speaks even to the naïve of the discipline.  Lending it’s self, to be examined and explored objectively from a plethora of perspectives.  I am introduced to Greg, by Stephen as we talk about the current state of Art, and the culture of The Downtown Art Walk.

As Greg Jovially works the room, Stephen tells me more about the man behind the Art.  After the introduction of who Greg is, I wanted to know more.  As it added a deeper layer of complexity to who he is; as well as depth into his art.  As well as the organic gathering of the three of us, all from diversely unique backgrounds as well.

“Art is not a stream, but now an ocean flowing in all directions”


The next day, I called him up, and decided to interview him over the phone.






Hello Greg, How are you?

GB: I’m doing great!

Where are you from?

GB: I was born on the Westside of Saint Paul, Minnesota, July 30th, 1940

How was it growing up in Saint Paul?

GB: My mother was a housewife and also an excellent artist. I have a brother, four years younger than myself, and a sister one year older.

Saint Paul, was a conservative place growing up, I was coming out of the closet when I was growing up.

I considered myself an outsider, I felt like I was on the outside looking in, in this small conservative city of Saint Paul, trying to figure it all out.  But they were all really nice people.

As a result I went through periods of depression, and had to be hospitalized twice.

 

What type of art did your mother do?  And how has it played a role in your life?

GB: My Mother painted murals. But then she got ill for a while, and painted a religious mural in our Dining room, before see was hospitalized.

When I was younger, my grandmother would give me pieces of butcher paper to scribble on, as she worked in the kitchen. So that’s where I got my artistic start.


What did you Study?


GB: I studied at St. Cloud University in Minnesota.  I met a professor there who felt I needed to travel and broaden my perspective and experience. He suggested that I travel to California.  His name was Prof. Hylton Thomas. I latter continued my studies at the San Francisco Art Institute on a third world scholarship. Two of the major influences on my artistic development were Mary Johnson, and Hatowski.


How were your travels, and do you believe it helped you as an artist?

GB: I’ve traveled to Europe, Amsterdam, London, Paris, Rome, Florence, Venice, Milan, and Mexico; the noted painter Max Bachmann has strongly influenced my artistic technique.

I traveled to San Francisco with only fifty dollars in my pocket.  There were times when I couldn’t find employment, and was on the streets.  So I would do odd jobs to supplement my income, while painting.

By expressing myself through my work, I was able to find myself, and experience growth and personal development.  This has fulfilled my personal yearning as an artist.


What would you categorize your art as?

GB: I labeled my art as modern primitive.  At times it’s contemporary; at others it’s whimsical with a certain sense of humor and burst of color.  But in all, it’s none of those things. I believe it is a reflection of myself. I call it a departure from tradition.


What brought you to downtown Art Walk?  And what do you think about it?

GB: I’ve been at Art Walk for three years now, where I have a Loft on
Main Street
, where I do most of my work.

I think Art walk is great for the Downtown community.  It’s bringing in a lot of revenue from the local attractions, but not necessarily for the artist.

People are becoming a little more liberal; in Los Angeles… you can be who ever you want to be, as long as you’re not stepping on other people’s toes.

No comments:

Post a Comment