Wednesday, March 2, 2011

MARK HUNTER @ THE COBRA SHOP

Loaded
At this point, I looked at Los Angeles and Hollywood as being my backyard…and Jimmy Kimmel was the old man down the street that I wanted to pull a prank on.  It was like I hit a baseball into his yard, and he wouldn’t give it to me, so I made it a mission to try to get him back.


After meeting with the Cobra Snake, and checking out his concept store in Hollywood.  I knew I wanted to visit him again, and get an exclusive.  On my new bike, on the streets of Hollywood, I ride as fast as I can, to make sure I get everything done on time, as I was also headed to Santa Monica.  I make it to the Hollywood and Highland complex, and make my way up to the bright yellow façade, boasting the Cobra Snakes moniker. 

      I walk in, and see Mark Hunter behind his desk, with a steel fence dividing his makeshift office from the rest of the retail experience.  I ask one of his business partners, if he was available for a quick interview.  “…Yea man, sure, I’ll ask him!” he says, as he heads into the Cobra Snakes office, while he’s talking business with another friend.  He walks back and say “…sure man, go ahead!”  “…Thank you” I reply.  I walk into the makeshift office, while The Cobra Snake is doing some business on his laptop.  “Have a seat man, nice to see you!” The Cobra Snake tells me. 

I sit down on an adjacent black and white zebra print chair, as he continues to handle business.  “…so what’s up?” he says.  “Nothing, I just wanted to stop by, and ask a few questions!” I reply.  “Sure man” he continues, in a relaxed friendly voice.  His presence is calming.  I would have thought he’d be this ball off the walls, eccentric party animal type guy.  But he was quite the opposite.  I feel like I’ve known him for years.  I pull out my writing tablet, and start to ask him a few questions, that I had written previously.



 
While some people may refer to you as the ‘Ultimate Hipster’, what is your title, or Job description?

CS: Well I started off as a Photographer.  I’m a creative.  I’m a Pop-culture practitioner.

Where did you grow up?

CS: I grew up in Santa Monica, I’m an L.A. native.

What school did you go to?

CS: I went to Santa Monica High, I didn’t go to college. 

Where did you get your start?

CS: I got my start working for Shepard Fairey of the OBEY brand.  He’s the one who really introduced me to Art and Music.  That’s also when I really got into photography, and Party pics.

Who are some influential individuals that have helped you along the way?

CS: Of course Sheppard Fiery, a lot of close friends, different bands such as Block Party, Justice, and Radio Head. 

What do you think about the Los Angeles culture as a whole?

CS: I think Los Angeles is a really dynamic place, and there are a lot of things to find.  You pretty much have to discover it on your own.  There’s just so much to see, it’s such a great city.

What do you think about the Hollywood scene?

CS: Well I live in Hollywood, and there’s a lot of action here, you can find something to do on every night.

How did you come up with the Idea for your concept store/ Pop-up Shop?

CS: Well my friends and I would set up these Yard sales/ Pawn shops, all over the world.  I started with the Cobrashop.com, and wanted to have a physical retail location, so we came up with the Cobra Snake concept store.  I really think it represents us, and who we are.

Will you be doing more of this, and if so where?

CS:  Yea, were going to be opening up more stores, in undisclosed locations.  We plan to just keep taking it to the next level.  We’re going to Outer Space! 

What other projects are you working on?

CS:  Well, I have my clothing line, and I’m working on a lot of music video stuff, I’m also a director.  I’m just keeping busy.

What’s a motto that you live by?

CS:  Always be positive, be friendly, always work hard, and be consistent




No comments:

Post a Comment